Here are some interesting facts about Justin Trudeau, Canada’s dynamic new Prime Minister who lead his party to a landslide victory over the ruling Conservative party lead by Stephen Harper.
Photo Credit: Liberals.Ca
1. Justin Trudeau’s full name is Justin Pierre James Trudeau. He was born in Ottawa on Christmas Day in 1971.
2. Justin Trudeau is the oldest son of former Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau. He was only the second child in Canadian history to be born to a serving prime minister.
3. “Happy Christmas, Happy Birthday.” – These were Justin Trudeau’s first comments to the media as a toddler, back in 1973 while visiting the hospital to see his brother Alexandre.
4. Justin Trudeau has a Bachelor of Arts degree in English literature from McGill University and a Bachelor of Education degree from the University of British Columbia.
5. Trudeau could not complete his Masters degree in Environmental Geography at McGill University as he joined the public office.
6. Trudeau once boxed on live television against a conservative Senator named Patrick Brazeau in 2012 and won the charity match by a TKO.
7. Trudeau tried several jobs before coming into politics. He was a “camp-counsellor, white water rafting instructor, bungee jumping coach, snowboarding instructor, high school teacher in Vancouver, BC, radio show host and even served as bouncer at a night club. Source: Huffington Post
8. As the Prime Minister of Canada he will be the second youngest person, as well as the first son of a former prime minister to hold the post. He is also the first prime minister to be born in Ottawa.
9. His favorite quote from himself is: “Canada is a country strong not in spite of our differences, but because of them”.
10. Justin Trudeau proposed to Sophie Grégoire on October 18, 2004 and got married on May 28, 2005. The couple’s first child, Xavier, was born on Oct. 18, 2007. Justin Trudeau and Sophie have three children Xavie, Ella-Grace Margaret, Hadrien.
11. Trudeau has authored a book Common Ground dedicated his wife Sophie. His favorite Author is Stephen King.
12. Justin Trudeau is perhaps the first prime minister in the world with a tattoo. His left shoulder is covered with a large tattoo of the planet Earth which he got while he was 23 years old.
13. In 2007, Trudeau starred in The Great War, CBC series dealing with Canada’s participation in the First World War. Trudeau portrayed the role of Talbot Mercer Papineau, who was killed on October 30, 1917, during the Battle of Passchendaele.
14. American President Richard Nixon predicted Justin Trudeau to become the prime minister of Canada in 1972. During a state visit to Canada, Nixon gave a toast to a four month old Justin – “Tonight we’ll dispense with the formalities. I’d like to toast the future prime minister of Canada, to Justin Pierre Trudeau”
15. Justin Trudeau and Tohmas Mulclair are related, sharing their eighth great-grandparents, named Amiot and Miville, who lived in Quebec in the 1600s ( Source: The Toronto Star, Ancestry.ca)